Generic Name and Formulations:
Cysteamine bitartrate 50mg, 150mg; caps.
Indications for CYSTAGON:
Management of nephropathic cystinosis.
New patients: start on ¼ to ⅙ of the maintenance dose; increase gradually over 4–6 weeks. Maintenance: >12yrs and >110lbs: 2g/day divided 4 times daily. Max 1.95g/m2/day. Goal of therapy to keep leukocyte cystine levels below 1nmol/½ cystine/mg protein 5–6 hours after administration. Patients taking cysteamine HCl or phosphocysteamine solutions may be transferred to equimolar doses of cysteamine bitartrate.
1.3g/m2/day in 4 divided doses. Max 1.95g/m2/day. If <6yrs old: do not give intact caps; may open and sprinkle capsule contents over food.
Withhold dose if skin rash develops, may be restarted at a lower dose then titrated slowly; if severe, do not readminister. Monitor blood counts, LFTs, vision, skin, bones. Measure leukocyte cystine levels every 3 months, more frequently when transferring from cysteamine HCl or phosphocysteamine solutions. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Vomiting, anorexia, fever, diarrhea, lethargy, rash; skin or bone lesions (reduce dose if appears), leukopenia, abnormal LFTs, CNS effects, GI ulceration/bleeding, pseudotumor cerebri, papilledema; rare: interstitial nephritis with early renal failure.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Risk for Cardiovascular Disease Higher in Survivors of Testicular Cancer
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|