Aligning chemotherapy administration to the time of day when the body is most awake benefits the effectiveness of the treatment, as shown in a mouse model.
Survival results from the first randomized phase 3 trial to compare cisplatin-radiotherapy with cetuximab-radiotherapy after induction chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced unresectable head and neck cancer remain inconclusive, with both arms showing good locoregional control, greater than 50% at 3 years, attendees at the ASCO 2016 Annual Meeting were told.
Although cisplatin can kill cancer, the agent also causes permanent hearing loss. The drug kills sensory cells of the inner ear, and the effects on the inner ear are likely more severe in persons with the rare form of dwarfism known as Cockayne syndrome.
Concurrent Chemoradiotherapy Using Paclitaxel Plus Cisplatin in the Treatment of Elderly Patients With Esophageal CancerNovember 27, 2015
The purpose of this research was to examine both efficiency and safety of concurrent chemoradiotherapy (CCRT) using paclitaxel combined with cisplatin in elderly esophageal cancer patients.
Retrospective study of irinotecan/cisplatin followed by etoposide/cisplatin or the reverse sequence in extensive-stage small cell lung cancerSeptember 17, 2015
This study compared the efficacy and safety of irinotecan/cisplatin and etoposide/cisplatin in first-line chemotherapy in E-SCLC.
Investigators linked inherited genetic variations to rapid hearing loss experienced by young cancer patients treated with the drug cisplatin.
The use of emetine dihydrochloride, an active ingredient in ipecac syrup, alone or with cisplatin therapy inhibited proliferation of bladder tumor cells in a recent study.
Chemotherapy-induced nerve injury in the bone marrow is what impairs the regeneration of hematopoietic stem cells, leading to anemia.
People with non-small cell lung cancer who become resistant to cisplatin may be able to counteract this problem with PARP inhibitors.
A new study of neoadjuvant cisplatin-based chemotherapy showed that epigenetic changes are potential key drivers in the development of chemotherapy resistance in bladder cancer.
Adding erlotinib did not increase treatment toxicity in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck, but it also did not improve survival.
In vitro exposure to an HDAC inhibitor indirectly impaired the ability of triple-negative breast cancer cells to repair damaged DNA, and sensitized the cells to treatment with a PARP inhibitor and cisplatin.
PARP1 and EZH2 may be treatment targets in small cell lung cancer, based on newfound differences between this and non-small cell disease.
An increased risk of coronary artery stenosis in cancer survivors may be a long-term posttreatment effect of chest radiotherapy.
A new marker of DNA damage may predict which triple-negative breast cancers or serous ovarian cancers will respond to platinum-based chemotherapy.
Key studies presented at the 2011 Oncology Congress focus on treatments, prevention, and early diagnosis of GI tract cancers.
Cisplatin binds 20-fold more pervasively to RNA than to DNA, making RNA a potential new drug target for the platinum compound, which is used to fight tumors in nearly 70% of cancers.
Recent study results suggest that a targeted immunotherapy based on a poxvirus may make chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer more effective and slow disease progression.
Patients with advanced biliary cancer treated with cisplatin plus gemcitabine experience a significant survival advantage without added toxicity, according to a study published in The New England Journal of Medicine (2010;362(14):1273-1281).
Women with advanced or recurrent endometrial cancer respond to gemcitabine and cisplatin when used together, according to a study presented at the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists' 41st Annual Meeting.
- Novel Blood Test Detects Cancer, Locates Tumor Without Invasive Procedures
- Cabozantinib Activates Innate Immune Response, Eliminating Prostate Cancer
- Shorter Treatment of Breast Cancer with Trastuzumab May Lead to Improved Results
- Colorectal Cancer Rates Increased Sharply Among Generation X and Millennials
- Pneumonia Associated With Common Cold May Cause Fatal Illness in Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Early Palliative Care Reduced ICU Use in Patients With Advanced Cancer
- Ginger Extract Raises Antioxidant Levels in Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy
- Nurse Navigators Improve Physician Engagement in Pretreatment Discussions
- Screening Increases Early Palliative Care, Reduces Aggressive EOL Measures
- Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer (Fact Sheet)
- Genome Sequencing Explains Resistance to CTLA-4 and PD-1 Inhibitors in Metastatic Melanoma
- Lifestyle Choices Have Greater Influence on Colon and Rectal Cancer Risk
- Kidney Cancer Metastases in Lung May Hide Undiagnosed Primary Lung Cancer
- Nasal Biomarker in Smokers Could Predict Lung Cancer
- Arm Lymphoscintigraphy After Axillary Lymph Node Dissection or Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Breast Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|