Aligning chemotherapy administration to the time of day when the body is most awake benefits the effectiveness of the treatment, as shown in a mouse model.
Survival results from the first randomized phase 3 trial to compare cisplatin-radiotherapy with cetuximab-radiotherapy after induction chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced unresectable head and neck cancer remain inconclusive, with both arms showing good locoregional control, greater than 50% at 3 years, attendees at the ASCO 2016 Annual Meeting were told.
Although cisplatin can kill cancer, the agent also causes permanent hearing loss. The drug kills sensory cells of the inner ear, and the effects on the inner ear are likely more severe in persons with the rare form of dwarfism known as Cockayne syndrome.
Concurrent Chemoradiotherapy Using Paclitaxel Plus Cisplatin in the Treatment of Elderly Patients With Esophageal CancerNovember 27, 2015
The purpose of this research was to examine both efficiency and safety of concurrent chemoradiotherapy (CCRT) using paclitaxel combined with cisplatin in elderly esophageal cancer patients.
Retrospective study of irinotecan/cisplatin followed by etoposide/cisplatin or the reverse sequence in extensive-stage small cell lung cancerSeptember 17, 2015
This study compared the efficacy and safety of irinotecan/cisplatin and etoposide/cisplatin in first-line chemotherapy in E-SCLC.
Investigators linked inherited genetic variations to rapid hearing loss experienced by young cancer patients treated with the drug cisplatin.
The use of emetine dihydrochloride, an active ingredient in ipecac syrup, alone or with cisplatin therapy inhibited proliferation of bladder tumor cells in a recent study.
Chemotherapy-induced nerve injury in the bone marrow is what impairs the regeneration of hematopoietic stem cells, leading to anemia.
People with non-small cell lung cancer who become resistant to cisplatin may be able to counteract this problem with PARP inhibitors.
A new study of neoadjuvant cisplatin-based chemotherapy showed that epigenetic changes are potential key drivers in the development of chemotherapy resistance in bladder cancer.
Adding erlotinib did not increase treatment toxicity in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck, but it also did not improve survival.
In vitro exposure to an HDAC inhibitor indirectly impaired the ability of triple-negative breast cancer cells to repair damaged DNA, and sensitized the cells to treatment with a PARP inhibitor and cisplatin.
PARP1 and EZH2 may be treatment targets in small cell lung cancer, based on newfound differences between this and non-small cell disease.
An increased risk of coronary artery stenosis in cancer survivors may be a long-term posttreatment effect of chest radiotherapy.
A new marker of DNA damage may predict which triple-negative breast cancers or serous ovarian cancers will respond to platinum-based chemotherapy.
Key studies presented at the 2011 Oncology Congress focus on treatments, prevention, and early diagnosis of GI tract cancers.
Cisplatin binds 20-fold more pervasively to RNA than to DNA, making RNA a potential new drug target for the platinum compound, which is used to fight tumors in nearly 70% of cancers.
Recent study results suggest that a targeted immunotherapy based on a poxvirus may make chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer more effective and slow disease progression.
Patients with advanced biliary cancer treated with cisplatin plus gemcitabine experience a significant survival advantage without added toxicity, according to a study published in The New England Journal of Medicine (2010;362(14):1273-1281).
Women with advanced or recurrent endometrial cancer respond to gemcitabine and cisplatin when used together, according to a study presented at the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists' 41st Annual Meeting.
- Immunotherapy May Benefit Some Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
- New Study Questions Standard Dosage for Treating Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Clinical Trials May Benefit Oncology Patients
- Breast Cancer Overdiagnosis Also a Result of Screening Mammography Programs
- Prostate-specific PET and CT Imaging Improves Detection of Disease and Patient Care
- Survivorship Care Plans: Providing A Blueprint for Health Care After Cancer
- Cancer Recurrence Fear Reduced by Novel Psychological Intervention
- Multifaceted Role of the Nurse Navigator Includes Palliative, Supportive Care
- Patient Navigators Found to Boost Lung Cancer Screening Rates
- Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Nurse Navigation Survey
- Novel 3D Marker Reduces Radiation, Improves Cosmesis in Breast Conserving Surgery
- Rates at Some Milestones May Indicate Clinical Trial Results for Immunotherapeutics
- Cancer Risks for BRCA1/2 Mutation Carriers Determined by Age, Family History, Mutation Location
- Long-Term Use of TPO Receptor Agonist Safe in CLL-Associated Immune Thrombocytopenia
- Savolitinib Active, Tolerable in Subset of Advanced Papillary Renal Cell Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|