Cefprozil Oral Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefprozil 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL; bubble-gum flavor; contains phenylalanine.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefprozil Oral Suspension:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections, including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, secondary bacterial infection of acute bronchitis, acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, acute sinusitis, skin and skin structure, otitis media.
≥13yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 500mg every 24hrs. Acute sinusitis: 250mg (mild) or 500mg (moderate to severe) every 12hrs. Bronchitis: 500mg every 12hrs. Skin and skin structure: 250mg every 12hrs or 500mg every 12–24hrs. All: for 10 days. CrCl<30mL/min: 50% of standard dose.
Otitis media: <6 months: not recommended; 6 months to 12yrs: 15mg/kg every 12hrs. Acute sinusitis: <6 months: not recommended; 6months to 12yrs: 7.5mg/kg (mild) or 15mg/kg (moderate to severe) every 12hrs. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: <2yrs: not recommended; 2–12yrs: 7.5mg/kg every 12hrs. Skin and skin structure: <2yrs: not recommended; 2–12yrs: 20mg/kg every 24hrs. All: for 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment, reduce dose. Monitor renal function. GI disease (esp. colitis). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs, including aminoglycosides. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest.
GI upset, elevated liver enzymes, dizziness.
Formerly known under the brand name Cefzil.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Risk for Cardiovascular Disease Higher in Survivors of Testicular Cancer
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- Age Not a Deterrent to Immunotherapy for Malignant Melanoma
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Patients With Head and Neck Cancer Have Greater Chance of Being Prescribed Opioids
- Medical Terms in Patient Education: Using the Confusing to Explain the Complicated
- Bedside Assessment Tool Improves Worst Pain in Patients With Cancer
- Androgen-Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer May Cause Nocturia, Sleep Disturbance
- USPSTF Rates Ovarian Cancer Screening a D for Asymptomatic, Low-Risk Women
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|