E-cigarettes used with nicotine-based liquid have the same potential to produce cancer-causing DNA damage as unfiltered regular cigarettes.
Although screening is often recommended as the first line of prevention for most cancers, recent recommendation from the USPSTF advises against thyroid cancer screening in nonsymptomatic adults.
A common beta blocker, carvedilol, is found to have preventive properties against the sun-induced cell damage that leads to skin cancer.
ASCO offers global recommendations for HPV vaccination tailored to structural resource levels of regions.
Self-persuasion is more effective than external persuasion for motivating low-income parents to vaccinate their children against HPV.
Patients were more comfortable with their decisions about lung cancer screening after a shared decision-making visit.
ACS colorectal cancer statistics show an overall decrease in incidence due to increases in screening rates; however, age-related incidence is trending up in younger persons, down in older persons.
E-cigarettes and replacement nicotine therapy deposit fewer harmful chemicals in the body that smoking.
Results of a series of Internet surveys revealed customers' perceptions of harms, benefits, and limitations of genetic information received from direct-to-consumer genetic testing.
Annual counseling could reduce prevalence and prevent many smoking-attributable fatalities.
Comparison studied the effectiveness of sun protection offered by a beach umbrella alone with that of sunscreen with a high sun protection factor.
Researchers compared the effectiveness of NSAIDs, aspirin, and several nutritional supplements for the prevention of recurrent adenomatous neoplasia after colon polyp removal.
Researchers report on their evaluation of the impact of the 2012 USPSTF recommendation on volumes of prostate biopsy and radical prostatectomy.
HPV DNA testing recommended in all resource settings; HIV should undergo screening more often
Adopting healthy lifestyle can cut 25-year risk for the disease from 29 to 13 percent.
An analysis of population trends in England demonstrated that use of electronic cigarettes improves the rate of successful quit attempts, but results in less use of prescription nicotine-replacement therapy products.
This fact sheets examines the sources of dietary calcium and possible links to cancer prevention.
Three-quarters of young adult women who visit indoor tanning salons support stronger restrictions on their use.
Despite confirmation of a link between routine Pap smear screening and a lower risk of developing cervical cancer in women older than 65 years, most US health guidelines discourage older women from undergoing routine Pap smears unless they have pre-existing risk factors.
Fewer cervical cell anomalies were present on cervical cancer screens of young women in Canada who received the HPV vaccine through a school-based program.
For nonsolid nodules identified by CT screening for lung cancer, annual screening with low-dose CT can eliminate the need for biopsy or surgery.
Most US cancer prevention and screening recommendations do not provide adequate information for making informed care decisions.
Cervical cancer, and oropharyngeal cancers in men, account for most HPV-associated cancers.
Beverages derived from broccoli sprout extracts were found to have preclinical chemopreventive activity against oral cancer induced by carcinogens.
Bacteria differ between healthy breasts and those with cancer, and beneficial bacteria may actually be protecting women against cancer; a finding that may lead to using probiotics to prevent breast cancer.
Consumption of walnuts reduced the growth of colon cancer. Researchers saw a reduction in tumor growth in mice that ate the equivalent of approximately 1 ounce of walnuts a day.
Cell Changes in Fallopian Tubes of BRCA Mutation Carriers May Lead to Strategies for Preventing Ovarian CancerJune 13, 2016
Recognition of early changes in the Fallopian tube cells of BRCA gene mutation carriers may be key to new strategies for preventing ovarian cancer that could also reduce the need for invasive surgery.
The drug denosumab, which blocks a bone gene, may also prevent breast cancer caused by a BRCA1 mutation. This already approved drug could be available quickly, and would be the first drug for breast cancer prevention.
What are the practical considerations for implementing a lung cancer screening program in a health care system? This question was addressed by Abbie Begnaud, MD, assistant professor, pulmonary, critical care, University of Minnesota, in a presentation at the 2016 ASCO Annual Meeting.
To improve patient comfort during full-body skin cancer screenings, dermatologists should respect patients' preferences for the gender of the examining clinician and for how the genital area is examined.
- Immunotherapy May Benefit Some Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
- Screening Recommendations for Children with Common Cancer Predisposition Syndromes
- Significance of Prostate Cancer Treatment-Related Factors Differ in Black, White Men
- Superior Tolerability, Efficacy With Alectinib in Treatment-Naïve ALK-poistive NSCLC
- New Study Questions Standard Dosage for Treating Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Survivorship Care Plans: Providing A Blueprint for Health Care After Cancer
- Multifaceted Role of the Nurse Navigator Includes Palliative, Supportive Care
- Cancer Recurrence Fear Reduced by Novel Psychological Intervention
- Patient Navigators Found to Boost Lung Cancer Screening Rates
- Lack of Transfusion Services a Barrier to Hospice Care for Patients With Blood Cancers
- Aspirin Use May Lower Breast Cancer Risk in Women with Diabetes
- Ethnic Differences, Cultural Barriers Negatively Impact Mammography Follow-up Among Asian Ethnic Groups
- Study Questions Safety of E-cigarettes vs Regular Tobacco Cigarettes
- Changes in Pulmonary Function Tests in Breast Carcinoma Patients Treated With Locoregional Post-mastectomy Radiotherapy: Results of a Pilot Study
- Increases in Liver Cancer Incidence Influenced by Higher Rates of Comorbidities
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|