Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitonin-salmon (rDNA origin) 200 IU/spray; nasal spray.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Calcitonin-salmon:
Limitations Of use:
Not shown to increase BMD in early postmenopausal women.
1 spray (200Units) in alternating nostrils daily.
Correct hypocalcemia and other disorders (eg, Vit. D deficiency) prior to initiating; monitor serum calcium during therapy. Supplement diet with calcium (1g/day) and Vit. D (400 IU/day); reevaluate periodically. Seizures. Do periodic nasal exams; discontinue if severe nasal ulceration occurs. Increased risk of malignancies. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
May antagonize lithium; adjust dose.
Rhinitis, epistaxis, other nasal symptoms, back pain, arthralgia, headache; hypersensitivity reactions, antibody formation.
Formerly known under the brand name Fortical or Miacalcin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Risk for Cardiovascular Disease Higher in Survivors of Testicular Cancer
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|