CAFCIT INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Caffeine citrate 20mg/mL (equivalent to caffeine base 10mg/mL); soln for IV infusion; preservative-free.
Indications for CAFCIT INJECTION:
Short-term treatment of apnea of prematurity in infants 28 to <33 weeks gestational age.
Use a syringe infusion pump when infusing. Loading dose: 20mg/kg caffeine citrate by IV infusion once (over 30 minutes); then, beginning 24 hours after loading dose: maintenance 5mg/kg caffeine citrate by IV infusion every 24 hours (over 10 minutes). Adjust based on response and serum caffeine levels.
Measure baseline serum caffeine levels in infants previously treated with theophylline (or aminophylline) and in infants born to mothers who consumed caffeine prior to delivery. Serious toxicity may occur with serum caffeine levels >50mg/L. Exclude or treat other causes of apnea. Seizure disorders. Cardiovascular disease. Monitor caffeine levels in impaired renal or hepatic function; adjust dose to avoid toxicity. Monitor serum glucose levels and for necrotizing enterocolitis. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid concominant theophylline, aminophylline (increased toxicity). May be potentiated by cimetidine, ketoconazole, others (may need to reduce caffeine dose). May be antagonized by phenobarbital, phenytoin, others (may need to increase caffeine dose). Caution with CYP1A2 substrates, inhibitors, or inducers.
CNS stimulation, cardiovascular or GI effects, increased gastric aspirate, feeding intolerance, hypo- or hyperglycemia, hemorrhage, acidosis, sepsis, lung edema, dyspnea, renal effects (eg, diuresis, renal failure), necrotizing enterocolitis.
Single-use vial (3mL)—1; Oral soln (3mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|