Breast Positioning during Mammography
An ideal CC view with retromammary space and pectoralis muscle (arrows). Visualization of pectoralis muscle on CC view implies that no breast tissue along the chest wall has been excluded.
Position of the nipple (A) in profile, (B) pointing medially, and (C) pointing laterally.
Pectoralis–nipple line on (A) CC view and (B) MLO view.
An ideal MLO view (i) nipple in profile, (ii) pectoralis muscle margin well visualized, (iii) edge of pectoralis muscle below the level of PNL, and (iv) inframammary angle (arrow).
Bilateral MLO: pectoralis muscle forming “V,” when viewed as mirror images.
MLO mistakes: (A) nipple not in profile, (B) pectoralis muscle not seen, (C) edge of pectoralis muscle ill-defined, (D) lower edge of pectoralis above PNL line, (E) poor lower quad. coverage, and (F) inframammary fold not visualized.
Imaging mistakes on an MLO view due to compromised positioning (i) nipple not in profile, (ii) edge of pectoralis muscle not well defined, (iii) no formation of “V,” (iv) inframammary fold not seen.
(A) A well-defined lesion seen on CC view. Not well appreciated on an MLO view and (B) a cystic space occupying lesion seen on ultrasound.
MLO view: (A) a doubtful lesion seen and (B) spot compression with magnification shows normal parenchyma.
Rolled on nipple appearing as a space occupying lesion on an MLO view of the right breast. Ultrasound breast was normal.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|