Amantadine HCl Syrup Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amantadine HCl 50mg/5mL; raspberry flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amantadine HCl Syrup:
Parkinsonism. Drug-induced extrapyramidal reactions.
Parkinsonism monotherapy: initially 100mg twice daily, may increase after 1–2 weeks by 100mg daily. Serious associated illness or high doses of other antiparkinson drugs: 100mg once daily, may increase after 1 to several weeks to 100mg twice daily; max 400mg/day in divided doses. Extrapyramidal disorders: 100mg twice daily; max 300mg/day in divided doses. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose; see literature.
Adjust dose gradually. History of seizures. Heart failure. Orthostatic hypotension. Peripheral edema. Renal (CrCl <50mL/min) or hepatic dysfunction. Psychiatric disorders. Suicidal ideation. History of recurrent eczematoid rash. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CNS stimulants. Thioridazine may worsen tremor in elderly patients with parkinsonism.
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (when drug is withdrawn or dose is reduced), nausea, dizziness, insomnia, heart failure, anxiety, irritability, hallucinations, confusion, anorexia, anticholinergic effects, constipation, ataxia, livedo reticularis, peripheral edema, orthostatic hypotension, headache, somnolence, dream abnormality, diarrhea, fatigue.
Formerly known under the brand name Symmetrel.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|