ALKERAN FOR INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Melphalan HCl 50mg/vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Indications for ALKERAN FOR INJECTION:
Palliative treatment of multiple myeloma when oral therapy is not appropriate.
Give by IV infusion over 15–20 minutes. 16mg/m2 every 2 weeks for a total of 4 doses, then at 4-week intervals. Continue treatment as hematological recovery permits. Renal insufficiency (BUN≥30mg/dL): consider reducing dose by 50%.
Prior resistance to melphalan.
Prior irradiation or chemotherapy. Bone marrow suppression. Azotemia. Monitor platelets, hemoglobin, WBC and differential at start of therapy and prior to each course; discontinue if WBC <3,000cells/µL or platelets <100,000cells/µL. Moderate to severe renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Radiotherapy potentiates antineoplastic effect. For IV: caution with cyclosporine, cisplatin, BCNU, nalidixic acid.
Bone marrow suppression, GI upset, hepatic dysfunction, anemia, blood dyscrasias, secondary malignancies (eg, nonlymphocytic leukemia), rash, alopecia, pulmonary fibrosis, interstitial pneumonitis, gonadal toxicity (amenorrhea, infertility); hypersensitivity reactions, cardiac arrest (rare).
Tabs—50; single-use vial—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- Androgen-Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer May Cause Nocturia, Sleep Disturbance
- Presence of Iris Pigmented Lesions Indicates Melanoma Risk
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Ciprofloxacin Plus Doxycycline Reduces Infection Rate in Multiple Myeloma Post-ASCT
- Prognostic Significance of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Expression in Glioma Patients
- Fathers Can Pass Inherited Ovarian Cancer Risk to Daughters
- Modified XELIRI Noninferior to FOLFIRI for OS in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Nabilone Improves Cancer-Associated Anorexia in Lung Cancer
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|