Albuterol Syrup Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Albuterol (as sulfate) 2mg/5mL; strawberry flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Albuterol Syrup:
2–4mg 3–4 times daily, may increase gradually; max 8mg 4 times daily. Elderly: initially 2mg 3–4 times daily, may increase gradually; max 8mg 4 times daily.
<2yrs: not recommended. 2–6yrs: 0.1mg/kg 3 times daily; max initially 2mg 3 times daily; may increase gradually to 0.2mg/kg 3 times daily; max 4mg 3 times daily. 6–12yrs: 2mg 3–4 times daily; may increase gradually; max 6mg 4 times daily.
Avoid excessive use. Sensitivity to sympathomimetics. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disease (eg, coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Seizure disorders. Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid MAOIs, tricyclics within 14 days (increased cardiovascular effects). Oral sympathomimetics: not recommended. Antagonized by β-blockers. Monitor digoxin. Caution with other drugs that may lower serum potassium (eg, diuretics).
Tremor, nervousness, headache, dizziness, hyperactivity, insomnia, weakness, tachycardia, epistaxis, hypokalemia, throat irritation (inh), paradoxical bronchospasm; immediate hypersensitivity reactions (eg, rash, urticaria, angioedema).
Formerly known under the brand names Proventil (aerosol, soln, nebules), Ventolin (aerosol, soln, syrup).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|